Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Marshmallows and Gothic Arch-Roses

I'm finally off for the summer which means more time for baking and art! Whoo-hoo! Yesterday, I made homemade marshmallows! They are so yummy! I also made some last week (when I took the pictures) where I had a little sugar fire on the stove, but other than that, I had a blast! You have to cook sugar and corn syrup. Then you mix that hot syrup with unflavored gelatin. You beat it in a stand mixer for 12 minutes and then spread it in a pan. After they set up for 3 hours, you cut them and roll them in powdered surgar! Very yummy, and everyone who tried them is spoiled forever!!!


Also, I'm trying to get caught up on the Gothic Arch Challege. This week's challenge was roses. I'm infatuated by Marie Antoinette- her life. . everything! Naturally, I used her in my arch!

This portrait was critized as it made her look so much less like a queen, but I really love it. I think it shows her human side. She was tired of the court life at Versailles and she wanted to get away. At the Petit Trianon, she could do that. She was highly critized for her spending on the Petit Trianon, but it was her hideaway!

2 comments:

Anne said...

Hi, Kristin! I never even knew a person could make homemade marshmallows! Wow! Sounds yummy! :-)

Martina said...

WOW - this is just so stunning! Amazing interpretation of the theme.